Welcome to our new Blog

How to Recover from a Beard Trimming Mistake

How to Recover from a Beard Trimming Mistake

How to Recover from a Beard Trimming Mistake

It just so happens that every once in a while we find ourselves using tools of the enemy. Straight razors and electric shavers can be great resources for grooming while you grow your beard.

But sometimes mistakes happen. Horrible mistakes… like months or even years of hairy bearded progress circling the drain. What started off as a routine cheek lineup has ended in tragedy. A tuft of failure rests between your fingertips and now you think there’s only one option left – you’re going to end it all.

The beard that is…

But this does not have to be the case! You can recover from the most harebrained cut if you have the willpower and finesse to keep your beard growing and showing.

Beard trimming mistakes and how to fix them

Most of the time we’re using some kind of razor or trimmer to clean up our cheeks, necklines or to get that mustache in check. We can sometimes fall into habitual routines when it comes to our beard and not pay attention to the process at hand.

If you shave your top line regularly, you’re bound to cut one side lower than the other eventually. For early beards this is much more noticeable, but still not a cause to start over. Remember that not everyone looks at your beard as close as you do, so if one side is a bit lopsided – don’t fret, you can bet it’ll recover within the next week.

Though, we’ve all been there when the razor has gone astray and all you’ve got left is a newfound trail of skin tracks where your glorious mane used to be.

Should you restart? No. Revise.

There’s mustaches, goatees, lowered top lines, Fu Manchus, hell even mutton chops. Get creative with a mistake and own it. Maybe you’ve been too afraid to try something a little bit on the wild side. This could be the unconscious jolt you needed to switch things up for your beard game.

Beard Trimming Tips

You have a different mindset when you’re going in for a trim. Maybe one side of your beard has grown into a galactic whirl and you can’t tame it for the life of you. An inch or two trimmed will set the whole thing straight.

This is also the most common time when calamity can strike. You’re actively going in with the intention to trim the beard a little bit. Yes, blasphemy but it does happen.

You have your clipper guards set to a certain level or your scissors are on hand. It’s time to go to town. The first few purrs of the electric razor feel pretty good. You’re about to whip this beard into shape. The groove feels nice and you’re going down level by level.

Chop.. slice.. Nice… Wait! – Woops, uh oh.

You’ve cut too deep! This is the time where a lot of guys will just finish the job or panic and screw it up even more. The simplest thing you can do at this point is to just walk away. Put the trimmer down and walk out of the bathroom.

Simple Steps to Recovery

1. Step away from the grooming tools for at least five minutes.
  2. Take a deep breath and look at your beard.
  3.  Resume trimming or grooming in a calm and collected manner.
  4. Even out the cut and let your beard take over from there.

Always come back a little later to assess the bearded situation. It’s still there, albeit a bit thinner. Having something on your face is better than having nothing.  All you have to do is adjust the length and your beard will do what it does best… keep growing.

Learn from our fallen beard brothers locked in grooming battle.

Tell us about your worst beard trimming disaster and how you recovered from it!

Comments

• Bruce Kazemi

Love this! Just had a mishap with a new barber and my beard. Asked for a little trim and straight shave line up. Ended up with months of growth gone (uneven) and a weak shave with a whole lot of irritation. Found myself in the bathroom with a trimmer in hand and scary thoughts of shaving it all off and starting again. Stepped back, took a breath then slowly and patiently begain to trim and line up my mane. Hurts to see the loss but happy the face still has hair.

Keep growing my friends ????

Bruce Kazemi

March 27, 2018
    • The Beard Club

Strong move Bruce! Glad to hear you withstood the forces of the evil razor. Keep it growing strong brother! The brotherhood is with you every step of the way,

The Beard Club

March 28, 2018
  • Sumeet

I took 3 packs of growth vitamins for last 3 months .. and beard came out to be as it was never.. it really worked but yesterday after 5 months i trimmed off my beard with the trimmer completely feeling like again i ve lost my beard as it isn’t coming out as expected still i can see the patches again.. what should i do ?

July 14, 2018
    • The Beard Club

Brother Sumeet,

We’re happy to hear that our growth vitamins were helpful to you! Losing a beard doesn’t have to be a cause for sadness. It’s time to begin again and grow your beard out thick and strong once more. Give yourself some time after you trimmed your beard. We’d recommend jumping back on the beard growth vitamins and waiting at least a few months until you get back to where you once were. Check out some of these best essential oils for beard growth and we hope to see you back and growing strong again.
      Best regards,
      The Beard Club

July 18, 2018
  • mason richardson

The right side of my beard grows a lot longer near my chin area than my left side does. I trimmed the right side up thinking I evened my beard out, when in reality I took off wayyy more hair than I thought. My wedding is in 7 weeks and I want to bring my best beard, I couldnt believe what I had done. A fellow beard club member reminded me how hard I had worked to get the beard I have. I thought of shaving fully, but in this dark moment that lasted at least a week, I decided to let it grow and embrace the learning and patience my beard has taught me. After 2 weeks I now have enough length to even it out again and it looks great! “When in doubt grow it out” -The Beard Club.

November 4, 2019
  • Nate

I have an addictive personality. I would just cut my beard randomly and try to make it nicer, although some times it works most times I mess it up and then promise my self not to touch it again, only to find myself with a pair of Scissors a week later with a messed up beard. I never thought this could be an addiction but I’m starting to fell hopeless.

May 7, 2020
  • Jonathan

Went to the barber to get a routine trim and shape and this lady completely destroyed my face. It’s literally uneven everywhere , it’s cut into a weird point, it’s almost to the skin on the sides and misshapen to the point it’s unfixable. I’m devastated. This beard was past my nipples, well kept. I start school Monday going back to get my Masters degree and now I just want to die . This is by far the most terrible beard mishap that’s ever happened to me

August 15, 2020
  • Dan Erickson

I started growing my first beard of any length during the pandemic. I was getting way too many frizzy run away hair on the sides, which are thin to begin with. So I attempted to do some trimming/tapering. I wound up with too many bald spots and took the sides down to stubble but left the stash and and inch goatee. The goatee is okay. I wore a short one for years when I was younger, but I will grow the sides back out and never do that again. I think a barber is best for me due to the fine thinner hair on the sides.

August 20, 2020